Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger

  • I tried to forget that this was my life, the reason I'd spent four long years memorizing poems and examining prose, the result of good grades and lots of kissing up.
  • I was reasonably sure that I had reached a new moral low--what was worrisome was that I'd sunk to it so naturally.
  • I lied quickly, remembering a Cosmo article I'd read that had exhorted me to "keep it light and airy and happy" when talking to a new guy because most "normal" guys didn't respond so well to hard-bitten cynicism.
  • Don't talk about yourself too much, don't dominate the conversation, get him comfortable enough to chat about his favorite and most familiar topic: him.
  • She loved anyone and anything that didn't love her back, so long as it made her feel alive.
  • It was just when it came time to look in the mirror that everyone genuinely saw a wildebeest staring back.
  • She's lucky she's got you for a friend. Otherwise she'd be all alone in the world.
  • I could only imagine how much Miranda was hating being addressed as "ma'am," which, as everyone knows, connotes old lady all the way.
  • If she didn't think you did a great job, she'd have gotten rid of you already.
  • FASHION IS NOT FOR ADVERTISING YOUR FAVE SEX ACTS ON YOUR SHIRT.
  • Everything would just sort itself out if I just stopped worrying so much.
  • Any armchair shrink could easily point out that my outward enthusiasm was meant to overcompensate for all that was lacking inwardly.
  • Early morning was always preferred because people's makeup would be fresh and their clothes unwrinkled.
  • We hung up on good terms, but I couldn't shake the feeling that my own parents were disappointed in me.

3/10/2009--12:11 a.m.

No comments: