Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

  • It's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out.
  • A boy who won't stand up for himself becomes a man who can't stand up to anything.
  • History isn't easy to overcome. Neither is religion.
  • A person who wastes his God-given talents is a donkey.
  • That's the thing about people who mean everything they say. They think everyone else does too.
  • Coming close wasn't the same as winning, was it?
  • Winners won and everyone else just went home.
  • Better to be hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.
  • They say there is a brotherhood between people who've fed from the same breast.
  • Nothing was free in this world.
  • In the end, the world always wins. That's just the way of things.
  • War doesn't negate decency. It demands it, even more than in times of peace.
  • People need stories to divert them at difficult times.
  • Boys and girls must know the legacy of their fathers.
  • What happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime.
  • Bruises healed. Reputations did not.
  • Sad stories make good books.
  • How could I, of all people, chastise someone for their past?
  • I firmly believed that if I had picked up a rifle and gone on a murdering rampage, I would have still had the benefit of her unblinking love.
  • Their sons go out to nightclubs looking for meat and get their girlfriends pregnant, they have kids out of wedlock and no one says a goddamn thing. Oh, they're just men having fun! I make one mistake and suddenly everyone is talking nangand namoos, and I have to have my face rubbed in it for the rest of my life.
  • There was so much goodness in my life. So much happiness. I wondered whether I deserved any of it.
  • It always hurts more to have and lose than to not have in the first place.
  • Time can be a greedy thing--sometimes it steals all the details for itself.
  • A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.
  • And that, I believe, is what true redemption is, when guilt leads to good.
  • There are bad people in this world, and sometimes bad people stay bad. Sometimes you have to stand up to them.
  • Perspective was a luxury when your head was constantly buzzing with a swarm of demons.

6/25/2009--9:33 PM

No comments: