Saturday, April 23, 2011

Waiting for the Barbarians by J. M. Coetzee


  • But what can I possibly say? "Terrible things go on in the night while you and I are asleep"? The jackal rips out the hare's bowels, but the world rolls on.

  • Nothing is worse than what we can imagine.

  • If you want to do something, you do it. If you had wanted to do it you would have done it.

  • That is what war is about: compelling a choice on someone who would not otherwise make it.

  • All I want now is to live out my life in ease in a familiar world, to die in my own bed and be followed to the grave by old friends.

  • What I did not know was how longing could store itself away in the hollows of one's bones and then one day without warning flood out.

  • You think you know what is just and what is not. I understand. We all think we know.

  • We are fallen creatures. All we can do is to uphold the laws, all of us, without allowing the memory of justice to fade.

  • I am terrified. I am terrified to think what is going to become of us. I try to hope for the best and live from day to day. But sometimes all of a sudden I find myself imagining what might happen and I am paralyzed with fear.

  • This is not the scene I dreamed of. Like much else nowadays I leave it feeling stupid, like a man who lost his way long ago but presses on along a road that may lead nowhere.

4/23/2011

No comments: