Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Help by Kathryn Sockett

  • The day your child says she hates you, and every child will go through the phase, it kicks like a foot in the stomach.
  • My real dream was that one day I would write something that people would actually read.
  • Ugly live up on the inside. Ugly be a hurtful, mean person.
  • Ever morning, until you dead in the ground, you gone have to make this decision. You gone have to ask yourself, Am I gone believe what them fools say about me today?
  • All my life I'd been told what to believe about politics, coloreds, being a girl. But I realized I actually had a choice in what I could believe.
  • What would happen if I told her she something good, ever day?
  • Dirty ain't a color, disease ain't the Negro side a town.
  • I feel guilty for not being nicer to her, for not needing her until my own life turns bad.
  • White people been representing colored opinions since the beginning a time.
  • My motto on housekeeping: when in doubt, wash it out.
  • It was a accident. Kicking her ain't gone do us no good.
  • Saying thank you, when you really mean it, when you remember what someone done for you, it's so good.
  • Stuart needs "space" and "time," as if this were physics and not a human relationship.
  • Everybody care. Black, white, deep down we all do.
  • It ain't the color a the wrapping that count, it's what we is inside.
  • I wash my hands, wonder how an awful day could turn even worse. It seems like at some point you'd just run out of awful.
  • Not only is they lines, but you know good as I do where them lines be drawn. I used to believe in em. I don't anymore. They in our heads. People make us believe they there. But they ain't.
  • Kindness don't have no boundaries.
  • I always thought insanity would be a dark, bitter feeling, but it is drenching and delicious if you really roll around in it.
  • Sorry is the fool who ever underestimates my mother.
  • I am looking for a future for myself. I like to hear about the possibilities of others.
  • There is so much you don't know about a person. I wonder if I could've made her days a little bit easier, if I'd tried. If I'd treated her a little nicer.
  • When she do things, they done the first time.
  • Trying to understand is vital to our humanity.
7/16/2011

No comments: