Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Chasing Down the Dawn by Jewel Kilcher

  • These are the things which made me; these are the things I call home; these are the things that have filled my heart with song and I raise them now in homage.
  • I've slept until 2 P. M. for the last three days. There is so much to dream about.
  • It's all about love. There just needs to be more love.
  • Of course my father swore he'd never be like his old man, but to break lifelong patterns requires a lot of focus, insight, and time to reflect and renounce old emotional habits. If you never stop and take the time, if you are too busy getting by to initiate change, change will be impossible--no matter how much you want things to be different.
  • We were all doing what we needed to do to get by, hoping something better would come along.
  • I want love to be simple. I want to trust without thinking. I want to be generous with my affection and patience and love unconditionally. It is easier to love a person with their flaws than to week through them. I want to love the whole person, not parts; and this is how I want to be loved.
  • First love avoids conflict. Young lovers are quick to forgive and forget--perhaps because they love for love's sake...or maybe because they are somehow aware that they lack the skills necessary to address problems or change behaviors. First love is delicious and brutal. It is a bright fire that burns both hearts out. First love is all heart: new, raw emotions, with no rational structure on which to hang them. And it is often blind. First-time lovers cannot see condescension and jealousy for the inadequate defenses they are. They are somehow flattered by overbearing affection and jealous demands. Young love is a reckless adventure of abandon, a complete surrender to the fullness of emotion. And a young lover bathes in this recklessness like a child immersed in the warm, exotic pool of its first holiday.
  • With time, my deepest cravings became impossible to ignore. Though I cared for him, I longed for my own destiny. In a single moment, I had give up the only future I had ever imagined, a future with him, and began to imagine a life of my own. I would begin to discover my passions and dreams.
  • When I was young, I enjoyed seducing myself with the possibility of who a boy might be rather than who he actually was...avoiding real information. Gradually I became less interested in invention and more interested in intimacy.
  • It says in the Bible that the sins of the fathers are visited on the children for seven generations.
  • People are not irreparably damaged by their experience, that we do grow strong in areas where we were weakened.
  • He was wounded, and acted out of his wounds.
  • Necessity is the mother of all invention.
  • It is enough to know I am in love and watch the sun rise through the black trees, not knowing what lies beyond each turn.
  • She had postponed some of her immediate desires to invest in the future of her family.
  • I started saving every dime I made, as if it was the last money that'd ever come my way.
  • Sometimes even just a little bit merry is enough. You don't always have to feel the whole deal.
  • I was blinded by my overconfidence. I was grown up and independent.
  • Am I spending my time wisely? I only possess each second, each moment once, and if I am not conscious of each moment then I do not possess it at all. When I take the final inventory of my life, will this moment be vivid and significant or just another forgettable detail in a long dull dream?
  • How I long to be more conscious, more aware, more alive, not wasting myself on things that take me farther from myself like hatred, fear, worry, and gossip, but constantly reinvesting my energy in the things that make me feel vital...like being still...
  • They reminded me that we were all okay, just the way we were.
  • There is a certain stability that comes from the understanding that the land will always take care of you, as long as you are healthy enough to work it.
  • Being poor makes you aware of how terribly dependent you are on others to survive.
  • There was a place in me that could never be broken. There was some place within me where I was always wise and untouchable and unbreakable.
  • An obstacle was a creative opportunity in disguise, and with the right attitude and some creative thinking, we could turn it to our advantage.
  • I began to feel that perhaps the unknown wasn't so scary after all. Maybe, I thought, life wasn't something that happened to me. Maybe, just maybe, it was something I created, like an intricate weaving, from the threads of my own perceptions.
  • Did anyone feel normal? Did even the most stoned stoner or muscle-bound jock or prettiest, most popular girl feel normal? Probably not. Everyone was insecure, wanted to be told they were beautiful or talented, just like I did. I realized that when I compared myself to others I lost who I was. It felt so much better not to worry about looking cool or fitting in and to express myself instead.
  • Stealing was a manifestation of my lack of faith in myself. If I really knew who I was, I wouldn't be so needy. I wouldn't have an empty space inside, or the inclination to fill that void with everything I could get my paws on. If I had faith and pride, I wouldn't covet what someone else had. I would recognize and take pride in the many gifts I'd been given. Stealing showed a direct lack of faith in God. After all, if I believed in God and that God took care of me, why would I steal?
  • There is no grand design that limits what we can be or guarantees it coming.
  • There is a nagging sense of fear in every woman, famous or not, who suspects that the world will forget her as soon as someone younger or more fantastic-looking comes along.
  • When I visit schools and I see girls so anxious, trying so hard, I want to tell them that they are enough, just as they are.
  • All I ever wanted to do was to create honestly.
  • Now it's just a question of remembering what's inside me and acting on it, day by day. Some days are still more difficult than others.
  • I had heard that if you fast in another person's name, it lends energy to them.
  • I am a child. I still butcher delicate things with inexperience and good intentions.
  • Lessons in anything have the potential to homogenize if the focus is on "correctness" rather than self-expression. Self-expression begins and ends with the soul.
  • Life romances me often, I think to myself, though often I do not notice the rhythm or beauty or music that laces all of life with its common thread.
  • It's about doing what you believe in.
  • Hey, it's just another hash house on the road to success; show them no respect.

6/19/2005

No comments: