Sunday, May 18, 2008

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

  • Daddy's anger had left her far away and careless
  • My parents' fights just meant they loved each other in a noisy way.
  • I had assumed men were as incapable of crying as they were of having babies.
  • The smile you send out returns to you.
  • Idle please disguises itself as permanent happiness.
  • I wondered if the whole world wasn't crazy.
  • The sanctity of the confessional applied more to murderers than kids.
  • That's what life's all about. Climbing out onto the airplane wing and jumping off.
  • You cook your own goose when you limit yourself.
  • You can be two things if you are a woman. Betty Crocker or a floozy. Just remember your place--even if it kills you.
  • Don't you ever become some man's personal toilet.
  • He was always full of promises. He had wrecked my whole life.
  • I'm not your free show!
  • Teachers! There were two types: the ones who treated you like dirt and the ones who were all over you with their Geiger counters of hope.
  • All the dead bolts and pulled shades and hidden knives in the world couldn't protect you from the truth.
  • I usually learn more from the situations I hate than the ones I love.
  • They assumed they were better than you just because they knew their own routine.
  • You were the same person, no matter what state you happened to be stuck breathing in.
  • Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
  • I cried because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet.
  • If you played with fire, you were going to get burned.
  • It was funny how my high-school education was turning out to be more useful after the fact than while they were putting me through it.
  • Everything's relative. Look at the big picture.
  • We owe it to our generation to get political!
  • Pain would be better than not feeling anything.
  • God has his reasons that you and me don't understand.
  • I wanted to talk to someone, some person I hadn't failed.
  • I tried to recall any other time when he had apologized to me. For over three years it had been the other way around.
  • Disagreements don't alter a mother's love for her daughter. Nothing does. Nothing alters that.
  • The trouble with going underwater was that you had to come back up.
  • The whole world was crazy; I'd flattered myself by assuming I was a semifinalist.
  • Who was I to criticize someone else's choices? Who was I to judge?
  • I don't see it as a matter of choice. Your feelings are facts.
  • You create your own future.
  • You build happiness out of insight and good habits.
  • Show me a childhood without some sort of violence. Show me a painless childhood.
  • You orchestrate happiness--you work at it. You don't catch it as it hurls toward you like a football.
  • I want to live in a place where I can have a bedroom-door lock. Where I can be my real age and not have to pretend some man is my mother.
  • Fate doesn't give warranties like Sears Roebuck.
  • If you want your prayers answered, get up off your knees and do something about them.
  • I wondered if I hadn't made a crucial mistake, obvious to everyone but me.
  • You didn't telephone people if your new life was working out.
  • Different strokes for different folks.
  • Everyone in the world kept secrets.
  • But the Lord Almight doesn't give out any promises just because you love someone. Love only gets you so far.
  • If you risked love, it took you wherever you wanted to go. If you repressed it, you ended up unhappy like Grandma.
  • Repression doesn't make it any easier. It just wastes energy.
  • Foul language is part of your armor of defense.
  • Not using birth control was a decision to have a baby.
  • Men scare too easily.
  • Without the pictures seducing you, TV was just a powerless talking ghost.
  • Being complimented felt the same as being accused.
  • No couple is happy all the time.
  • Writing is a lot like dreaming. There's a subconscious connection. Once someone intrudes, it's like trying to go back to sleep to finish your dream.
  • His words had burned me more times than they'd soothed me. I cautioned myself not to be taken in by this verbal Noxzema.
  • Death angered loved ones because it made them feel powerless.
  • You sit around feelin' sorry for yourself and you're dead. Sittin' on your ass can get to be a disease worse than what you got.
  • Life's a shit sandwich, but only if you're a shithead.
  • People don't fall so neatly into the categories you put them in--heroes and villains, unfettered and--fettered?
  • You just shouldn't make promises you don't intend to keep.
  • The whole world would work right if people just tried being an inch and a half nicer to each other.
  • My whole life used to throb like a toothache.
  • The secret is to just settle for the shape your life takes. Instead of, you know, always waiting and wishing for what might make you happy.
  • Life's absurd. Live authentically. Stop whining.
  • Love was always the thing that did that--smashed into you, left you raw. The deeper you loved, the deeper it hurt.
  • Good catches are a mixed blessing.
  • I just don't believe in happily-ever-after. It's a crock of shit! I know it's a crock of shit. I ain't offering you happily-ever-after. I'm offering you...happily-maybe-sometimes-ever-after. Sort of. You know, with warts and shit.
  • People waste their happiness--that's what makes me sad. Everyone's so scared to be happy.
  • Accept what people offer. Take their love.
  • Love is like breathing. You take it in and let it out.
  • Whatever prices I've paid, whatever sorrows I shoulder, well, I have blessings, too.

12/19/2006

No comments: