Sunday, May 18, 2008

Riding in Cars with Boys by Beverly Donofrio

  • I developed a talent for pure concentration, which enabled me to hear absolutely nothing when I was reading or writing.
  • Why when you talk about making love do you always say sex? Do you make no distinction?
  • How can you stand to have that television on nonstop? It's like mental Novocain.
  • Once you leave, you're not coming back.
  • His suggestion that I rely on a man to help us out, irritated me no end.
  • Crossroads--where if he took a left he'd really be running away, but if he took a right he'd be nearly home.
  • He hadn't been thinking of me at all. Just as I hadn't been thinking of him.
  • I didn't see the meridian separating the incoming from the outgoing traffic and sailed right over it.
  • There's a big design, that the end is already there in the beginning and there's nothing we can do about it, not in a lifetime. Nothing we can do about the events, but plenty we can do with them. It all comes down to the way we look at things.
  • Then I thought of Olivia and how her feet had hobbled her life. No. She had hobbled her life with her belief about her feet.
  • You're just handed some things in life that you have no control over, so you'd better learn from them rather than letting them get to you.
  • John Lennon died, the end of youth and the demise of innocence.
  • He hadn't been spying, just concerned.
  • Another skip in the record.
  • We hated each other for a couple of days, then eventually started acting like nothing had happened, which was one of our routines.

1/25/2003

No comments: